Monday, January 4, 2010

Who Knew?

This month's edition of Country Living Magazine has an interesting feature on Girl Scout memorabilia. I was a dedicated girl scout up until eighth grade when I decided to focus on sports instead. I remember loving the camping trips and all the other wonderful experiences the Girl Scouts had to offer. Even at a young age I was a type "A" personality, obsessed with earning every single badge. I fell short by four badges but held onto my sash for all these years. When I saw the article and the value of the badges - $5 to $10 a piece for common badges and $50 to $60 for rare skills - I was pleasantly surprised. Above is a picture of my sash, complete with pins and troop information. I am not sure what the pins, red rectangular patches and wings signify. If you know I would love to hear from you. Here is the back of my sash. As you can see I never finished sewing all the badges on, as the top three are just pinned in place. In the second row you can see a handmade bowling badge. Each troop had the opportunity to make their own badge and my troop choose bowling. It is funny to think that bowling must have been considered a life skill!

As a Girl Scout I also received patches (like the ones shown above) for various camping trips and special projects. I must have been quite the saleswoman as evidence by the "cookie queen" badge.

So what badges didn't I earn? Here they are:
I find it very ironic that two of the things I like doing best - running and cycling - are two of the badges I did not earn. If you would like to see more information about vintage Girl Scout collectibles, visit vintagegirlscout.com.

13 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I hope you are having a wonderful2010!!!

I have never kept my bulbs past the first bloom. I am not sure if you can or not...I would definitely try it if you want to...what do you have to lose?:)

The flower in my pic is a paperwhite. I have the best luck with these and I love the fragrance they produce. I have a couple of other bulbs but they are not quite as far along.

I love flowers and plants...don't you think they just make your house a home?!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Maria Killam said...

I always felt deprived that I never went to girl scouts! You certainly earned a lot of badges!! Make some money :)

DianeM said...

Oh yes, I saw the article too...I stayed through cadets earning my silver award. You did better than me with the badge earning! Mine do go up the back of my sash but I know I needed alot more than just 4 badges. I truly LOVED my scouting years, thanks to my awesome & dedicated leaders!
-Smiles, DianeM

cotedetexas said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this!
I actually recognize some of my own badges - the bbq pit one, the camera, paintbrushes, swimming!

you were quite the scout! your parents must have been so proud of you. I was such a quitter back then (Now too! haha) - never a type A like you.

love this - makes me so nostaglic for tents and latrines. I was so scared of those latrines!!! ugggh.

Gwen Driscoll said...

Thank you so much for visiting Ragland Hill Social earlier in the week. I really appreciate it.

What an interesting post? I wasn't ever a girl scout so I'm so impressed with anyone who has the where-with-all to stick with something to receive all these honors. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Look forward to seeing you more in blogworld!

Gwen Driscoll
Ragland Hill Social

Boxwood Terrace said...

You were a very high achieving girl scout! So cute that you kept your sash. This brings back fun memories. My favorite part about being a girl scout was the cooking--making s'mores on camping trips and the little "mess kits" we had with the two metal dishes that fastened together with the utensils inside. Thanks for jogging my memory today!

Decor To Adore said...

I saw the article too and it brought back such great memories. I began as a brownie and finished as a senior. The life skills I learned certainly have helped.
I love to tell the girl scouts across the street that "When I was a G.S. we had to go door to door selling cookies~none of this grocery store stuff." It's kind of the modern day "I walked 5 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow." :)
Alas, I could never afford a uniform. Hopefully my loose patches have fallen into some grateful collectors hand.

for the love of a house said...

I saw this too. I was only a Brownie, but I can still "see, feel, and smell" my Brownie handbook in my mind! Sweet memories!
Happy New Year!
joan

the spectator said...

I love your sash and the meticulous way in which the badges are sewn on.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I saw that article- thought it was interesting!

Viera said...

I never went to girl scouts .Hmm. sounds lots of fun.
Have a wonderful new year.
X
V

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I have my sah and went halfway down the back with badges. I, too, stopped at 8th grade. I found a website that tell a lot about the various badges and pins on our sashes. http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/pingirlofficial.htm
I think our pins were year/attendance pins backed by yellow discs-senior scout. The CL article was fun.
~Nancy

La Petite Gallery said...

Very nice. First visit.

yvonne

Blog Widget by LinkWithin