Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Young Girl’s Bedroom Update

Over the past several months I have had the pleasure of working with a friend on updating a few areas of her daughter’s bedroom. Her daughter had outgrown the pink and purple color palette and wanted a more updated and fun look.

My friend purchased Pottery Barn green polka dot curtains as well as blue and brown duvet covers she found on clearance to use as the starting point for this room redo. The duvet covers were used to create pillows and small curtains for a bookshelf.


After a trip to Calico Corners, we decided to add green and brown ball fringe as well as two fabrics – one striped and one floral print – to tie the entire space together.



This room redo incorporated many sewing projects including adding fringe to both edges of the curtains, creating a new window seat cushion, designing custom embroidered and appliqued pillows, and making small curtains hung from a tension rods to conceal the contents of a book shelf.



To bring the window seat fabric to another part of the room, custom Euro shams – striped on one side and floral on the other – and a large embroidered body pillow were sewn for the bed. By making the Euro shams from two different fabrics, my friend’s daughter can decorate her bed in all different combinations.



As you can see, this space is a great example of how mixing custom pieces and embellishing store bought items can create a great looking room. This was such a fun project and the best part was hearing how pleased my friend’s daughter was with the outcome!

Linking up to House Tour Party at No Minimalist Here
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage


11 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I LOVE it, Stacy! What a great color combo and I love the different fabrics. Great idea to do the curtains under the window seat ~ it looks so great with the cushion fabric.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I love the color palette, it is amazing how quickly girls can move out of the princes/pink/purple phase! My own daughter now claims she doesn't like pink. The drapes in her room are pretty pink...but I'm not offering any adjustments at this point and she hasn't asked! Janell

pam said...

Love those pillows!

Fishtail Cottage said...

those pillows are gorgeous - my daughter is wanting to redo her room in blues...& we can't decide on a color...uggh. we both have different ideas in our heads! lol xoxo, tracie

SUE said...

Wonderful! I do believe that fabrics make the room - so important AND beautiful! Good Job - SUE

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Great look for a young girl. The color palette is so fresh!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi StacY, What a pretty room for a young girl. The color combination and pillows are wonderful. Thank you for sharing this cute room at my party.
xo,
Sherry

Decorating Ideas said...

Love all the pillows!

Debra said...

So cute! The colors are beautitful and I love the pillows.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Stacy! This room is so custom, so wonderful. I so appreciate all the hard work that takes. I love to see people make stuff and make it look so professional. It's great watching what you do -- this bedroom totally inspires me as I'm thinking and planning out my girls' rooms makeovers. The pillows and window seat are killer! :)

KimMalk said...

I absolutely love the combination of fabrics and what you've done with them. It's not a little girl's room anymore ;).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin