Thursday, August 11, 2011

When Painting is not an Option



Whether you are a long time follower or new to Red Door Home, you have most likely figured out I am not shy when it comes to wielding a can of spray paint.  I have painted lamps, tables, chairs, mirrors, stools, light fixtures and much more.


So it may come as a little bit of a surprise to know there are times when I believe painting is not always the best answer to making over a piece of furniture.  Case in point is the display cabinet shown below in my kitchen.

Womens Day Budget Decorating – Photographer,  Michael Partenio
Stylist – Donna Talley, Regional Producer and Editor for Meredith Publications

 While I love the lines of the cabinet, I could do without the large expanse of oak wood.  (You may have noticed a theme here in my kitchen eating area.)  Since painting is not an option, several ideas on how to “fix” this cabinet have come to mind.
via Restoration Hardware
I thought about sanding and waxing the wood – similar to the Restoration Hardware furniture shown above.  A second idea which I playerd around with - and just did not work - was adding fabric or paper to the back of the cabinet like the photo shown below.
via Martha Stewart
In the end, however, the best option for me was simply to change out the contents of the cabinet.


By relocating my blue and white transferware to the dining room and replacing it with my collection of white ironstone mixed with a few pieces of silver and mercury glass, the cabinet immediately felt lighter and brighter.

Big changes without any expense – the best kind of makeover!


18 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is gorgeous. I so agree, some things just don't need to be painted. I love the white ironstone. It looks wonderful mixed with the silver and the cabinet is a stunning piece. Beautiful room. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Well, it is a beautiful cabinet, Stacy! I totally agree that there are some pieces that just should not be painted, and we shouldn't feel that every piece we own needs to be painted either.

Angela said...

It made a huge difference! And I love the cane chairs!!
~Angela

Amy Kinser said...

There are certain things in our home that I cannot paint. One of those things being our kitchen cabinets and the other being our mantel. They are the older orangey color oak...remember them? My husband is totally against painting something like that so I try to find ways to lighten up besides painting. You do what works, don't you? Love your dishes in there.

Abby M. Interiors said...

Great work! I love all the white and the contrast. Plus, it's fun to mix it up.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Amazing what a simple change made! I love it with the white and silver. It's a gorgeous piece.

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Great point! Small changes can make a big difference! Lovely setting!

Deb Plapp said...

What about painting the inside of the cabinet to make it pop more?

The mum of all trades said...

So funny that I came accross this post. I just posted earlier today about a cabinet I'd bought and can't decide whether to paint it or not. I think you've helped me make my decision!

Andrea said...

I love that cabinet, just the way it is. Your white and silver theme is gorgeous!!!!

Moddy Bee said...

very nice blog! i found you on tip junkie! your daughters room is very cute!
www.moddybee.blogspot.com

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

So true! With the spray and chalk painting flying in blog land I think sometimes people forget it is ok to have natural wood!

I have a few antiques that were given to us that I could nevr paint!

Love all of the Ironstone, it looks fabulous!

under spanish moss said...

Stacy, thanks for stopping by our blog today. We are so glad to have found you and your lovely blog. We love your creative fix for your display cabinet. It's great when you get a big impact for little money and time. Looks great!
Angela and Renee

Morgan said...

The cabinet is beautiful! I agree with you - the lines are great. I also love all your white dishes in the cabinet. Gorgeous.

The enchanted home said...

You are good. Very good. Love the cabinet, your kitchen, your eye and style. The white dishes look exquisite and total magazine spread worthy!

Stacy CUrran said...

This is absolutely gorgeous and looks like it should be in House Beautiful!
Stacy

Maria Wheeler, Simply Cool Stuff said...

I love the way the mellow colors of the wood highlight your lovely collection of 'whites' simple and effective. Nice look and thanks for sharing Stacy.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

What a wonderful change, and it works with my budget!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin